Wednesday, May 8, 2013

K-13

Thirteen months. Everyone asks if she's walking and talking. No, and yes. I mean, she walks great holding on to one or both of our hands, or if she knows Daddy is holding on to her jacket. But no steps on her own yet. And yesterday I read two blog posts about kids who didn't do the "milestones" until they were good and ready, so I'm cool with just letting it happen when it happens. We've never forced anything with her, and this waking thing is no different.

But talking? Oh, yes, she talks! Most of it I don't understand, but I love to just listen to the sweet, incessant babble that takes up most of her day. The words she uses consistently are daddy (which sometimes comes out Dadu), puppy (which at the moment applies to any animal), afuera (outside), agua (water), amen (after songs, mealtime and naptime prayers, and good stories), Mami (but only when prompted ... She still calls me Gaaaah when she's looking for me), and papa (which could mean one of many things depending on the circumstances: looking at pictures, it's Grandpa, looking at a bird, it's Pajaro, eating a French fry, it's Potato (What? I don't give my kid French fries, what are you talking about?), playing with rocks, it's Piedra). She says Mmm when she smells a flower and when she eats, and it's just so cute with her little high-pitch soft voice (as opposed to the decidedly alto tones she uses when she's angry or wants something NOW).

Parentheses schmarentheses.

She loves books all of a sudden. She has developed an attachment to her kangaroo and just NEEDS to hold it when she's feeling insecure. Outside is still her favorite place to be, and her Abuelita is already employing her to pull weeds. If I hand her a rag, she will wipe down the nearest surface. If I hand her a brush, she will diligently scrub the floor. We shall see how long this lovely Cinderella phase lasts.

At her 12 month checkup, she weighed 20 lbs 12 oz, was 28" long, and her head is measuring in the 90th percentile. Her doctor remarks, "Big brain," at every visit. She is finally catching up to her peers in the weight and height categories at the 50th and 30th percentiles respectively. She eats solids like a champ, and she's still nursing five or six times a day. I am in no way ready to give up nursing, and neither is she, so my new goal is to make it to 2 years or whenever she decides she's done. It has been challenging of late, because she's pretty much been teething for three months straight now and when she teethes, she bites. The good ol' clamp and drag is her favorite trick, and she also enjoys a bit of nursing yoga when I feed her in bed for our first daylight feed. Coconut oil is amazing for sore body parts, by the way.

Speaking of teeth, she now has five and is working on a sixth. Despite cutting so many teeth in so little time, she has been surprisingly good natured. She does have her moments of frustration and clingy whininess, but for the most part she is happy all the time.

Her favorite part of the day is when Daddy comes home. I've been looking forward to this part of parenthood since I got pregnant. Or maybe since we got married. Actually, I've been looking forward to this since I was a little girl who missed that whole "Daddy's home!" experience. She squeals when she hears the garage door open or sees the car pull up, and she just wants to RUN out the door (except she needs to hold on to Mommy's hand to do it).

This is such a fun time for me, watching her explore and learn and grow way too fast. Thank Heaven for little girls.

4 comments:

  1. As a person who has worked in child care for 15 years I want you to know that most children are not walking and talking at one, not sure where that myth came from. Most kids walk between 13-15 months and for most kids actually talking isn't until after two but if she already has her first word she is way ahead of the game there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reassurance, Stacey. I really am not at all concerned, but a lot of people ask me if she's walking and then proceed to brag that their children were walking at 9, 10, 11months. A lot of people were "concerned" that she wasn't crawling at 8 months and told me I needed to "teach" or force her how to do it, which goes against my parenting beliefs. I believe kids learn from modeling and forcing them to do something before they're ready is counterproductive.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Haha, how to you force a child to crawl. People are nuts and they call it the RANGE
    of development for a reason.

    ReplyDelete